Sunday, August 26, 2007

When you re-read a classic you do not see in the book more than you did before. You see more in you than there was before. --Clifton Fadiman

Back from the vackay, more to come.

But this quote made me think about what I've been doing a lot: re-reading. Today I found two whole chapters I swear were not there the first time I read About a boy. And I swear I do not remember Cannie being so funny in Good in bed. Or that the column was called that BEFORE Bruce started writing about C. And there were pieces I forget from Blue Like Jazz. And while I prefer Deborah Tannen when it comes to the war of the sexes, Mars and Venus on a date is very helpful. Although is it rereading if you haven't finished the book? I keep rereading the first five chapters.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

*Check out my big blog announcement

Nicole Baart said...

Hi Sarah,
I dropped in via the link in Amy's site (pretty shiny), and I just had to say that I think you're hilarious. I have a very particular sense of humor and you so struck my funnybone! Keep writing--I'll read it. :)